25 May 2017

Review: The Sky Is Everywhere, Jandy Nelson


"Lennie Walker, seventeen, Wuthering Heights obsessed, clarinet player, band geek. Also hopeless romantic, prone to scattering poems all over town and as of four weeks ago, sisterless . . ."

I'm not quite sure why I felt so drawn to this novel. Was it because I'm also a teenage girl experiencing my first loss? Was it because I wanted to know that someone was feeling the same way I was, even though it was only a fictional character? I'm not sure why I picked up this book and started to read it but I'm so glad I did. 

The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson, is the story of Lennie Walker experiencing her first love and first loss. How grief and love can run side by side so intensely but so sensitively as well. It's such a poetic and heart warming novel, I found it really hard to put down. Jandy Nelson leaves a beautiful message to the readers of her novel, where she talks about some interesting elements of the novel being true. As somebody who loves poems, I really enjoyed the poem aspect of the novel. Not only the poems that were left from chapter to chapter but also the poetic nature in which Jandy Nelson has written this novel with. 

Highly recommend this novel for anyone looking for something new to read.

B x

No comments:

Post a Comment